top of page

Upside down for a day

Updated: Nov 2, 2020

Last Halloween Rodeo Visual Effects hosted a Stranger Things themed party to celebrate that the studio was awarded the third season of the show. Even though it was not mandatory to follow the theme, some work colleagues and I had already decided our costumes: we were going to build the Demogorgon costumes from scratch. If you already know me you may know that I LOVE to put on a costume but most of all I enjoy making them.


El pasado Halloween Rodeo FX organizó una fiesta temática de Stranger Things para celebrar que el estudio iba a trabajar en la tercera temporada de la serie. A pesar de no ser obligatorio disfrazarse de algo relacionado con la serie, unos compañeros de trabajo y yo lo teníamos claro: queríamos disfrazarnos de Demogorgon y crear todo el disfraz desde cero. Los que me conozcan un poco ya sabrán que a mí ME ENCANTA disfrazarme y sobretodo preparar el disfraz.



Although I had already worked on some costumes before I had never done such a big piece. I didn't know what to begin with. Luckily both Marilyn and Julien (thanks guys!) had everything under control and thanks to them we started building everything up.


La verdad es que aunque había trabajado en disfraces anteriormente nunca me había enfrentado a algo de estas proporciones. No sabía por dónde empezar. Por suerte Marilyn y Julien tenían todo bajo control (¡gracias chicos!) y con sus ideas y consejos empezamos a construir.


We found some creepy morph suits that would cover us from head to toe and even though the color was a bit off we planned on painting them over. It was a good start point. We were ready to head off the most challenging part of the costume: the head.


Encontramos unos monos muy tétricos y completamente ceñidos al cuerpo que nos tapaban de pies a cabeza. Aunque el tono no era exactamente el que queríamos pensamos que podríamos pintarlo y añadirle detalles, sería un buen punto de partida. Una vez tuvimos decidido eso, empezamos con la que sería la parte más compleja del disfraz: la cabeza.


Let's get started!

We bought some cheap yoga mats and we used them to create the head by tearing them apart and using small pieces to shape the mouth and the teeth of the creature. Tons of glue later, we started adding a few coats of painting. In order to add an extra punch of realism I thought of intentionally adding some glue in the teeth to recreate the saliva and a little bit of fake blood here and there.


Para ello compramos unas colchonetas de yoga baratas y las usamos para construir la base de la cabeza. Con pequeños trozos del mismo material fuimos creando la boca y los dientes de la criatura. Kilos de paciencia y pegamento después, pasamos a darle una capa de pintura. Para rematar la cabeza y añadir un extra de realismo pusimos más pegamento entre los dientes a modo de saliva y un poco de sangre falsa.



The body was still lacking depth so we thought of giving it some dimension by using insulation foam. On top of an old t-shirt we shaped some bones and areas that we wanted to emphasize: the clavicles, the rib cage and the pelvis. Wearing the t-shirt under the morph suit would allow us to get this creepy feeling about the skinny creature. I also used the same foam to shape a claw on top of an old pair of boots. At this point I was clearly close to be finished. I only had to paint the boots with spray and acrilic paint and add some final touches to the morph suit to blend everything together. I was thrilled with the result and we had a blast at the party. We even took part in a surprise-thriller-flashmob aaaaaand… we won the groupal prize! How cool is that?

El cuerpo aun necesitaba algo de profundidad para lo cual usamos mucha espuma de poliuretano. Con esta espuma marcamos encima de una camiseta (que iría dentro del mono) algunas zonas que queríamos destacar. Exageramos la zona de las clavículas, la caja torácica y la pelvis. Al ponernos el mono estas zonas tendrían un relieve extra que nos daría un aspecto mucho más parecido a la criatura en sí. También utilicé esa misma espuma sobre unas botas viejas para crear la forma de las garras. El toque final fue pintar las botas y añadir algunos retoques en el mono usando spray y pintura acrílica. El resultado final fue una pasada, igual que la fiesta. Fuimos parte de un flashmob sorpresa y además... ¡ganamos el premio grupal! 




Comentários


bottom of page